Do I Need To Get My Boiler Serviced Every Year?
The reasons why it makes sense to get your boiler serviced every year.
As plumbers and gas heating specialists we get asked “Do I really need to service my boiler every year?” Some customers think that if their boiler is working fine then its ok to leave well alone. It is obviously going to save money by not getting it serviced. We’ve heard people never having their boiler serviced! This is a mistake for the following reasons.
- A boiler service can detect any gas leaks before they become a serious problem. Carbon monoxide poisoning due to a leaky boiler is extremely dangerous to health and can even be fatal. It is an odourless, invisible gas and can only be detected with a carbon monoxide detector. When we service a boiler this is one of the main things we will be checking for. We recommend that customers buy a carbon monoxide detector as a precaution.
- A boiler that is regularly serviced will run more efficiently. Why spend a lot of money on an energy efficient boiler and then waste money because it is not performing at its peak efficiency? This is bad, both for your wallet and for the environment.
- Most boiler manufacturers stipulate that in order to maintain the warranty that comes with a new boiler it has to be serviced annually. Some boiler warranties can last for 10 years which is a long time. If your boiler breaks down within this time, the cost of new parts and labour can be very expensive. An annual service can be money well spent in this scenario.
- Landlords are legally obliged to get any gas boilers serviced annually in order to keep their boiler efficient and safe. Gas heating companies can offer appropriate certification to keep the landlord within the legal framework. A Gas Safe qualified engineer must by law check all gas appliances annually.
- Just like a car, a boiler that is serviced regularly will run better and last longer. An annual service can pick up on issues before they get too big and which ultimately might condemn your boiler. By extending the life of your current boiler you will be postponing paying for a brand new boiler . This will allow yourself more time to save up.
If you are going to get your boiler serviced annually, it should be done by a Gas Safe engineer so that you know that your boiler is being safely serviced for the coming year. Gas engineers are fully trained and regulated. Missing out on an annual boiler service may save you money in the short term but in the long term it may cost you a lot more. Make sure you get your boiler serviced, preferably in the Summer when you can deal with any problems before you need the boiler to work hard for you in the winter.
Author: Scott Findlay